POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pavement conundrum : Re: Pavement conundrum Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pavement conundrum
From: Chris B
Date: 7 Sep 2008 06:47:31
Message: <48c3b143$1@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message
> Once in a while I try to solve this puzzle, but I give up. It is beyond my
> skills.
>
> How would one model this pavement in POV-Ray? It looks simpler than it is
> as - obviously - the inner arc of a row of stones is smaller than the
> outer arc. In RL (as on the examples below) this is constantly compensated
> I suppose to keep the pattern regular and symmetrical....

I would think that the key distances of any significance in the sample
picture you posted are the radius of the outer edge of an arc and the centre
to centre distance.  In your image I would think that the stick is used to
keep the outer radius constant and that the strings keep the centre to
centre distance constant (and, in this instance the lines straight). The
radius of the inner edge is already set by the previous arc of stones and
would be used only as a guide to pick a block of the right depth.

To get a good join, the tangent to one arc should pass through the centre of
the other arc (and visa versa) so that you get a right angle at the joins
and you can use a square block there to give a perfect join. This means that
the centre to centre distance would have to be the Radius times the square
root of 2.

Regards,
Chris B.